Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

To Grammy's House We Go......


 On Tuesday morning,we awoke to freezing rain and a 3 hour delay at the kids school.
We had been planning to pick the kids up around 12:30 to get out of town, so at that point - we made the decision to skip the hour and a half they would have been in school and try to get out of town earlier.
Which we did.
But only by about 20 minutes, because our morning was full of set backs and it became a trend that lasted the entire day through.

First,  Brady brought our cat inside, took him in the bathroom, locked the door, walked out of the bathroom and shut the locked door. With the cat inside.  
Thankfully, hubby came to the rescue!


Crisis averted so I went for a run (on the treadmill because I'm a weather wimp), showered, finished packing and we loaded everything and everyone in the van. 
And......it wouldn't start. 
 Ken tried to jump it off to no avail.
Thankfully, a sweet gentleman from church came to our rescue.
Tested our battery and said it was good, so we were able to try the jumper cables once more and it worked. 

So, we headed out on our way admiring the ice on the trees and praying (well, I was anyways) that there was none on the roads.  
Funny thing was the further west we went it was warmer (even though the elevation was higher) and the rain was just that -- a cold rain which still made traveling slower.
It's a 6 hour drive to Grammy's house and we travel through two river gorges to get here.

About half way through our trip, in the latter part of the first river gorge - the Nantahala River Gorge, we came to a dead standstill.


There is NO way around a standstill in a river gorge.
No roads to go around it.
SO, we passed the time as best we could
With snacks..... 


moving around a little bit

watching movies and posing for pictures (if you are Maggie).

OH, and playing games on our phones, because we were in an area with no cell service so I couldn't check any social media or text my bff to complain. =)


After an hour of sitting, we were finally on our way. 
We made it to Chattanooga just in time for another huge traffic jam due to another wreck.
Instead of sitting for another hour in traffic we met my dad(PaPa) for supper.
Sticky Fingers it was!
We had yummy ribs for supper and waited out the traffic.

We finally made it to Grammy's at about 9PM where we were warmly greeted my Grammy, Granddaddy, Uncle Heath, Austin and Brent (my cousins).
We visited for a while before falling into warm beds thankful to have arrived.

Yesterday, we got up and breakfast. Grammy made biscuits and gravy with sausage. YUM.
Then I headed to Chattanooga to meet my friends for lunch.
I got to have lunch with two of my favorite people in the world - Kellie and Hannah Bracken.
Unfortunately, I was too busy catching up with them to take any pictures.

Because the weather was frigid on the mountain (30 degree high yesterday), we spend the afternoon at Grammy's just hanging out and staying warm.
Grammy and Granddaddy had an event to go to and after they left, we headed out to meet PaPa and Uncle Heath for supper at the local Mexican restaurant.
It was a nice and relaxing day.
I was able to sit and read a book for long stretches of time. Lovely.

After supper, we came back to Grammy's for a game of chicken foot. 
This is something that the kid always do with Grammy and Granddaddy.
They enjoy it so much.
And because I had had a chill all day, I took a nice warm bath and read some more of my book.
   It was lovely!!

Today, on this Thanksgiving Day, we are getting ready to go to MY Granny and Pa's for lunch and later to PaPa and NaNa's for supper (my dad ).  
I'm so thankful for this day.
My grandparent's are 89 and 91 and I know that family times like these -- with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins -- aren't going to last much longer.
My kids are so blessed to have 3 great grandparents still living and to get to spend quality time with them and all of their grandparents.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Enjoy your family today.

That is what I plan to do!!

1 comment:

JennyImp said...

Tripp got stuck in that gorge traffic too on his way back from school!!

I hope you all have a great trip!