Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tasty Thursday: Crockpot Jambalaya

DO you like Cajun food?  

Wait, who doesn't?!?

Well then, I've got a recipe for you!?!

I found this recipe at over at Plain Chicken a while ago.
Go there for a printable version after you read on and your mouth starts watering!!
And just wait til you see how easy this is!!

Cut up some turkey sausage....

and some boneless, skinless chicken breast.
About a pound of each.
And put it in your crock pot.

Next add a cup of chicken broth and 28 ozs (or 2 14.5 oz - which is what I had) cans of diced tomatoes.

Add all these spices.....
Measurements are listed below, but I rarely measure.....


When I added the minced onion, I realized that I didn't have enough.
SO, I just added fresh along with some minced garlic.


Stir it all up.
Cover it and let it cook on low for 8 hours.


When I got home this afternoon, I made some brown rice to serve with the jambalaya.
Seriously, you cannot get easier than that.
Actually, I think the original recipe calls for instant rice, so that might be a little easier.....

DELISH!
You should try it!!

Here's the recipe:  (Or you can use the link above for a printable version)

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced 
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
3 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 tsp minced garlic
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
white rice or instant rice  { I used brown rice to make it a  bit healthier}

In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme. 

Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Mix in cooked rice cook for about 15 minutes to warm through. {I just cooked the rice and served the jambalaya mixture over the top}


*Mine turned out runnier than the pictures on the Plain Chicken Blog......
wonder if that is from not adding the rice into the crock pot.....?  Hmmmmm......

*Also, the first time I made this I used actual andouille sausage instead of the smoked turkey sausage.
I thought the extra spice was fantastic, but my family thought it was too spicy.

They loved it tonight.  
I promise you will love this easy version of Jambalaya!!
Give it a try and let me know when you do!


No comments: