Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

My First 5K


A week ago yesterday, I ran my first ever 5K.  
 I was nervous for most of the week before it when I stopped to think about it.
It was a 5K  put on by one of our local elementary schools in honor of a man from our church who was the  coach at the school 
This is me before the race with this man's wife and daughter and another sweet lady from church who was running the race.

My BFF {marathon runner} came to run with me. This is one of few pictures of her because she took all the pics of me.  
She was such an incredible encourager and though she could have run this race in about half of the time it took me, she stayed right with me for most of the race.  

This is Miss O.  Kandi pushed her in the stroller while running and taking my picture.
She's super woman.

Our shoes.
We were ready to run! 


Two of our other sweet friends came to run with me.
Jenny and Tripp raced down to be with us.
Jenny was feeling awful, though you can't tell it here
and Tripp looks like he is wondering why he agreed to this....

Me at mile 1.  Still happy and smiling.
Not dying.

And here I am at mile 2.
Still smiling.
Though beginning to look forward to the end.

Kandi sped up a little after the mile two sign so she could get me coming across the finish line.
Here I am......I did it!!!


I was so happy these two sweet friends of my came to be with me at this race.
I love them so much!

I am thankful that Tripp was there, too.
We didn't get a picture o the four of us together.....
but aren't they are cute couple!?!
{they are getting married in a little over a month}


When I agreed to run this 5K and signed up, I was so worried that I was going to hate it.
I mean, most days, I do hate running on my treadmill. 
I'm always thrilled I did it when I'm done but I'm never thrilled to be doing it.

I can honestly say that I didn't hate it.
Having my friends there to talk to and laugh with meant the world 
and it doesn't hurt that I finished in my fastest time to run EVER.
My official time was 35:35.
That's 11:30 minute miles people.
I know that isn't fast but when you factor in that I was walking every 4th minute and how short my little legs are, it's pretty fast.

I might just have to do another one.
I cannot believe those words came out of my head!!!!




5 comments:

Danavee said...

Good job!!!!!!!! I envy you!!!!!!

Jodi said...

Awesome job! I was asked to run in a 5K this weekend and laughed!! i secretly want to do one though, I like you run/walk method!

Denise said...

that's fantastic!

i hope to do a 5k someday.

Drennan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Good job! I can't believe this is your first 5K. I would have thought you ran some races with Steve? :) I think my last 5k was probably 25 years ago. haha.
(I tried to post this comment earlier, but was logged in as Drennan.)