Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year. New Intentions. New Beginnings.

With the beginning of a new year all things are new.  Well, not really everything. 
But some things are.  And, it's a chance to do some thing's differently.  I'm not big on "resolutions" but I do welcome the opportunity to do some things differently.  So, I guess they are resolutions.  whatever. 

For a while, God was whispering a word to me over and over. That word is Intentional.  I even wrote about it back in June.

 Yeah....  I have yet to put into practice all those things that I know God has been calling me to be more intentional about.  I could blame it on the fact that I was in the middle of packing a whole household up to move but really I was just being stubborn.  Rebellious even.  It is hard to be intentional about all of those thing that were in that post.....it's a lot of work. And for a while God stopped whispering it to me so much.Last Sunday, though, he said it again.
And I remembered. 
I want to be obedient to what God is saying to me so not matter how hard or how much work, with His help --  I will do it!!
There are many things on the list I wrote in June that I need to be doing more intentionally.  Being more intentional about my marriage and more intentional about parenting in Grace. and much, much more!!
I have  begun to take steps forward in being intentional on some of these things.
I plan on working through the whole list as I go forward.  I know that being intentional is an every day, every minute thing.
 For now, here is where I've started. 

1. One of the ways I need to be more intentional is by getting back to my early morning time alone with God.
I know that getting up early isn't for everyone and really, it's stinking hard for me.....but it is best.
My days are better when I begin them with Him and end them with Him. 
My sweet friend, Kandi gave me this book.

I began it on Jan 1 and I am loving it so far.  
I know I will love having that quiet time with him with this book, reading His Word, listening to what he has to say to me for that day.  And, I plan to start tomorrow. That means an earlier bedtime for this girl!



2. Another thing I am being more intentional about is doing devotions with my kids. 
The kids all got  new devotional books in their stockings.
The girls got this....

I love how their devotion goes along with my devotion for the day. I have time to think about it for myself and we can discuss anything that they want to discuss.  So far, they haven't wanted to discuss much.  They are in too big a hurry to go write in their journals.  

I couldn't find a picture of the one Brady got but it is called Daddy and Me. 100 Devotions for Dads and their Boys.
I think they are both enjoying their time together in the evenings.

Another thing I'm doing with the kids are gratitude journals.
We seem to take a lot of things for granted and I want them to remember to be thankful.
SO, I made all of them {and me} a Gratitude Journal.
We wrote 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 on the first page and it is our memory verse for this month.

Be joyful always;
Pray continually;
Give thanks in all circumstances 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Each night they write something they are thankful for.
Brady is drawing what he is thankful for and Daddy is labeling it. =)

3. I need to get  back to my house cleaning schedule!  
I used to have one that I followed quite religiously.
Time to get back at it!!

4. I need to be more intentional about eating.
Less processed foods. Fewer preservatives.
More REAL food.
I really believe that processed foods and preservatives are reeking havoc on our health.
My kids have eaten way too much fast food and "easy" preservative laden food.
I used to make whole wheat bread on a regular basis, but hubby didn't like it as sandwich bread.
SO, I went on the hunt for a whole wheat sandwich bread.
And I found this  recipe over at Musings of a Housewife.
My first two loaves didn't rise as I think they should have -- think I might have over kneaded....
BUT - they sliced perfectly for sandwiches.
Score one for a new preservative free loaf bread!! 
Plus, it is delicious -- much better than store bought.
I will be making more tomorrow! 
Now, if I can just find someone who will sell me local, organic eggs!!!

5. I  also have to get back to reading the bible through.  I've read it all the way through once but want to do it over and over again.

Those are some of my new intentions in this new year.

There are also a couple of new beginnings that I am looking forward to!

First, a new bible study beginning next week.
We are starting this study next week
and I am so excited I can't even stand it!!




Second, a new year means a new 365 project.
I did this a couple of years ago but not last year.
I think I will give it a shot again.  {no pun intended}
I didn't take a picture on Jan. 1 so I'm already behind.
so, I cheated and took two on the second......
Not off to a great start, huh?

I'm geared up and ready for all of these new things.
New Intentions. New Beginnings.
New Year!
Welcome, 2013

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh, I'm so with you on the intentional thing. This is a great list.