Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Running vs Walking






















There was a time in my life when this was completely true of me.  
As a matter of fact before July of this year I would have said that I would, in fact, never BE a runner.
There is a lesson there.
I should never say never.
This isn't the first time I've said never about something that I would eventually do.....
like marry a preacher.
I said that once.  
As I said, there is a lesson there.  

Anyway,  I have several friends who are serious runners.
My best friend is one of them.  And she has worked so hard and is so fit that she has really been an inspiration for me to start trying to run.
I say trying to run because most of the time I do what I call "run walking".  
Right now I walk 4 minutes and run 5 minutes for an hour. Which means I'm running about 3.8 miles.
{Yes, I do know how slow that is}.

I want to be a runner because I want to be healthy, fit, in shape.
I'd also like to lose some weight. 

Here's the thing though.
I really don't like running.........

And, lately, I've been trying to figure out which is better for me.
 Walking or Running.
I've heard that running is better for me.
AND I've head that walking is better for me. Easier on the body. Easier on the heart.
That they burn the same amount of calories per hour.
 But then, I've heard that running burns more calories.
I even heard that for people as short as me (I'm five feet tall) running is really not the best option.....

SO, I'd love to hear from you all out there.
Do you know?
 Which is best for me?
Walking or Running?

OR  
maybe Run Walking is best?

I look forward to hearing back on this .....
Because if you know me, it's driving me crazy!!


2 comments:

Angie Vik said...

Good for you for exercising. I don't like to run so can't advise which one is better. I love to walk, so if I had to choose between something I didn't like and something I do like, I'd choose the thing I like. I've heard walking is easier on the body. You don't see as many people with walking injuries as you do with running injuries. I think the important thing is to find whatever exercise you like the most and do it.

Anonymous said...

So, why am I just now seeing this??? Of course, RUNNING is better for you!! You are doing a fabulous job, and I, and others, are so proud of you! It took me a year to start to LOVE running. Get off the treadmill, hit the trails and you will find out how much you love it! (I can't promise you won't see snakes, bears, bugs, etc, but you WILL enjoy God's creation!

Kandi :0)