Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Carry His Cross


For Holy Week, my friend- Kellie - has been sharing a wonderful gift with me (and several others, too). She's been sending videos everyday as a devotional reflection each day.


Each video that she has sent has been incredibly powerful. This one, though, wow!

There's just something about this one......

It has really brought on to me the heaviness of this day, Good Friday.

My Lord and Saviour was beaten, crucified and died for ME. He took my sin. It is a gift that I don't and never will be able to deserve. SOOOOO thankful for HIS grace and mercy.


In this video, there comes a point where the Roman Soldier tells Simon of Cyrene to carry the cross for Jesus. Simon physically carried the cross that Jesus was to be crucified on. But at that moment I was overwhelmed with the statement "YOU! Carry His Cross!"


It reminded me of the call that I have to take up His cross and follow Him. Am I willing to do that? Leave my selfish ways behind and take up HIS cross and follow HIM?

Chances are that, as an American, I will never physically suffer as Jesus did for me. But am I willing to suffer in other ways?


Am I willing to suffer by bearing the cross when people say unkind things about me or others that I love by reacting the way Jesus did? Jesus said NOTHING when he was accused.


Am I willing to be ostracized by people ....intentionally or otherwise, as Jesus was?


Am I willing to love the way Jesus did? To love everyone?


Am I willing to go and be the hands and feet of God as Jesus was?


Am I willing to be like Jesus in countless other ways so that people see HIM in me?



Am I willing?






This morning, I'm struck by the heaviness of this day.


Not only because of what Jesus did for me, but by what that means I'm called to do in return. Yes, Jesus died on the cross as a gift for me. I never have and never will earn it. But that gift he gave demands a response. Am. I. willing?!!?


Are you willing?




Luke 9:23 (New Living Translation)
Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, y
ou must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.




in HIM-





2 comments:

Chrissy @ Boerman Ramblings said...

thanks for sharing this! I teared up reading it. so convicting!

Chrissy @ Boerman Ramblings said...

i used some of your words on my blog today but credited you!
check it out
http://boermanramblings.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-easter-means-to-me.html