Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Community of Faith


Have you ever heard someone say that they can have a relationship with Jesus and not go to church?

I believe that to be true.....at face value. Sure, there's a lot about being a Christian that depends solely on you and God. A person can read their bible.....alone. A person can pray.....alone. A person can worship....alone.

But, I believe that God is calling us to more than that. I believe that we are called to be in a community of faith being in fellowship with one another. Going all the way back to when the Church began, they did this. It tells us in Acts 2:42 that...."They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." And then, of course, in chapter 12 of 1 Corinthians, it talks about how spiritual gifts are distributed to people. Some having this gift, others having that one. Still others a different gift. And the rest of that chapter speaks of unity and diversity in the body. How the eye can't do it without the hand. And the hand can't do it without the feet. All of these things speak to why we are to be a part of a community of faith. Be a part of a church family.


I have just finished a study on Timothy Keller's book, The Prodigal God. In the last chapter of the book, Keller shares a story about C.S. Lewis that truly gives an incredible explanation of why we need one another and why we need to be in fellowship together.

Here is what he shared.....


In his book, The Four Loaves, Lewis wrote a striking meditation on his death in an essay entitled "Friendship".

"In each of my friends there is something that only some other friend can fully bring out. By myself I am not large enough to call the whole man into activity; I want other lights than my own to show all his facets. Now that Charles [Williams] is deal, I shall never again see Ronald's [ Tolkien's] reaction to a specifically Charles joke. Far from having more of Ronald, having him "to myself" now that Charles is away, I have less of Ronald...In this, Friendship exhibits a glorious "nearness by resemblance" to heaven itself where the very multitude of the blessed (which no man can number) increases the fruition which each of us has of God. For every soul, seeing Him in her own way, doubtless communicates that unique vision to all the rest. That, says an old author is why the Seraphim in Isaiah's vision are crying, "Holy, Holy, Holy" to one another (Isaiah 6:3) The more we thus share the Heavenly Bread between us, the more we shall have"


My goodness! Does that say it all or what? Being a "people person" I love the thought that we NEED each other to fully know God. And I completely agree with it. That last sentence says it all. The more we share the Heavenly Bread between us, the more we have.


We need each other. Everyone NEEDS a community of faith. We need each other to know HIM more fully!


Can you be a believer without a belonging to a church? Sure you can, but I think you miss out on a whole lot of what God has for you when you aren't part of a body.


What do you think?


in HIM-









1 comment:

Jessica said...

My faith is so important to me...my family's faith is so important to me...God must always lead us!!

Happy Wednesday!!

I am blog hopping today and happy to be visiting your blog!!

Please stop by and follow (if you aren't already) either or both of my blogs:

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about family and life at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

Have a very blessed Wednesday and hope to see you drop by my blogs!! :0)