Thursday, September 27, 2007
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Anyways - TD Jakes was on the show last night. So, since he was on there to help "counsel" the people on the show - I was very interested in hearing what he would say to people. I figured that this man who pastors a church of 30,000 members would be "representin'" for the faith!
I was sorely disappointed!
He helped counsel a husband and wife on the brink of divorce. The wife thinks the husband should be making more money to provide her the kind of lifestyle she desires. Both TD Jakes and Dr. Phil told the husband that he needed to really pay attention to what the wife was asking him for.
He helped counsel a man who was angry at the world. And he helped counsel a couple whose son had shot himself accidentally with a gun from their home.
None of the advice given to these people was bad really, but here is what disappointed me. I never once heard him ask these people if they had a church or christian counselor to go to. Nor did he mention the bible -what God would say about the situation. Or even mention that God was the way to healing for these people......
I suppose, maybe, he wasn't allowed to say anything because it was the Dr. Phil show?
And to give him the benefit of a doubt, he could have talked to each one of them about God AFTER the show......
I just was sorely disappointed. I thought for sure that TD Jakes would be turning these people to the LORD. Not just aiding in giving them the clinical psychology answers to their problems.
Anyone else see it? Here is a link if you want to check it out.
Hope you all have a great Tuesday.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
I haven written before about my anxiety problems and today I stand in need of prayer.
I have a dentist appointment in T-minus-2 hours and 4 minutes and counting!
I have 4 (yes I said 4) cavities that are being filled today.(*In my defense - 3 of the cavities are old fillings that have leaked* - don't know why I feel the need to justify.(
Thus the anxiety........or at least part of it. It has been a LONG time since I've had cavities and have had to get shots in my mouth. Therefore I'm nervous about that.
Here is the other part.
I have mytral valve regurgitation. Which basically means my mytral value leaks. SO, whenever I go to the dentist - I have to take antibiotics just in case they introduce any bacteria into my system. Because if they did add bacteria - it could set up an infection around my heart- and cause life-threatening problems.
NOW - for most people (sane people?) this isn't that big of a concern. They take the antibiotics which is 4 - 500 mg of Amoxicillin knowing that will get rid of all the bacteria one might have and there is no need to worry about infection.
BUT - for me - with this anxiety stuff going on - 1000 mG of Amoxicillin isn't cutting it.
My anxious mind worries:
What if it doesn't work?
What if I have a reaction to the Novocaine and my already speeding heart rate goes up even more?
What if I have a panic attack while he is working on my teeth?
Yada...yada....... and this list goes on and on.
I can already feel my anxiousness starting to rise up within me. The shaky, clammy hands. The heart palpitations. The anxious spirit.
Will you pray for me this day? That I will remember what Paul said to the Philippians in chapter 4 verses 4 - 9? That I will do ok and have no reaction to the shots in my mouth?
And please do continue to pray as this day continues because my fear of infection won't stop this morning............Just pray that God will see me through!
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
I often wonder why we Christians always think our lives should be easy and go just as we think it should. I am embarrassed to admit that I, also, have had expectation of "the good life" from time to time. There was a part of me that thought when I became engaged to a pastor that my marriage would be just the best.one.ever! And that hubs
and I would just get along famously all the time and our marriage would never be
any work at all.
I've learned that isn't so. Marriage is hard work no matter what. And I think that life is designed that way on purpose. I think God allows the things in our lives to be difficult on us so that we learn to lean on him at all times!
It amazes me how many times I hear people say "God will never give you more than you can handle". I hear it all the time. When someone is sick in a family, the people say "But, HE will not give us more than we can bear". This is a comforting statement - but it isn't what the bible says really. We are all usually looking for a reason to believe that God really does want our lives to be a bed of roses.
When people use this statement, they are usually referring to 1 Corinthians 10:13 which reads:
This verse really isn't about God giving us more than we can handle in our lives, instead it is really referring to the temptations in our lives. It clearly states that none of our personal temptations are anything other than what is common for all of us. It does say that He will never allow us to be tested beyond what we can bear but go on and read the rest of the verse......do you see it? It says that when we are tempted (BECAUSE we WILL be tempted) that He will provide a way out so we can stand up against the temptation.
See, I believe that God does give us more than we humanly can handle in life so that we will turn to HIM. Otherwise - we would be able to boast of our own strength and how we "made it through". If we can handle it on our own - then we wouldn't need to depend on God and then it is just us making it through on pure human will and determination.
I believe God gives us MORE than we can handle because it is an opportunity for us to make HIM famous and be HIS glory revealed. If we are going through something that is humanly impossible and yet, through HIS greatness we are able to handle it and can share that with the world, then WOW! We are making him famous. And isn't that what life is really all about? Knowing God and making him known to others?
If Jesus, our LORD and Savior, wasn't given life on "easy" street, why should we think we deserve that? God never promised us that life. He did promise that HE would always be with us and see us through. As hard as it is, I am trying to be thankful when God gives me more than I can handle because it gives me the opportunity to lean on HIM. And with HIM, I can make though whatever comes my way. Maybe not with a crown of roses - living it up and easy street, but I will take the hard street anytime if it means I am growing closer to my maker!
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Monday, September 10, 2007
Friday, September 7, 2007
I am going to put a chair rail up in our den and put pictures all along it. The problem is that I took 171 pictures (literally) and I have to choose which ones to pick!!!! These are a few of the ones I really like.
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Well, here we are again! Time for lesson #14 . It is hard to believe that the whole thing is almost done. What will we post about and discuss on Wednesdays?
Here are the burning questions of today.....
1. We talked of the importance of encouragement when God has called us to task. Has a lack of encouragement or even ridicule ever taken you back to a place of insufficiency you thought you had conquered? I have to say that I don't think I've been driven back to a place of insufficiency because I think I am still working to a place that I don't feel insufficient. That is one of the devil's easiest ways to get to me and I think one of the ways he tries (over and over) to convince me that I'm not "saved" -- because he knows that I already feel insufficient and so he tries to keep me there. I am working with the Lord to get out of this "pit" and become more than a conqueror IN HIM!!!
2. Is there someone you know right now who is attempting a new ministry that could use a world of encouragement from you? Why do you think this thing may be scary for her? Will you commit to write a note, make a call, or send an email with a dose of courage inside? I don't know about this one. I will have to think about it. I don't know many folks who are starting new ministries......Actually the Lord just brought someone to mind and I WILL promise to send an encouraging word her way!
3. Read Moses' song in Exodus 15:3-18. What line speaks to you most? Why does it touch you? Today it is verses 11 - 13 that touch me most --
"Who among the gods is like you, O Lord? Who is like you- majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders? You stretched out your right hand and the earth swallowed them. In our unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling."
WOW!!! I love these words! I even have the last part(vs 13) already underlined in my bible. It is an awesome promise isn't it? There is NO ONE like HIM and he leads ME with his unfailing love and guide ME with his strength. What a promise to hang onto!!!!
4. Based on the applications of living either inside or outside the Promise, where would you now say you currently reside? I am just going to be REAL here and say I'm a little unsure. I do struggle with unbelief and my prayer almost daily is "Lord, heal my unbelief". While I do believe that I accepted the salvation of the Lord long ago....the devil tries to keep me from believing it. And, unfortunately he has had (and continues to have) some success in telling me this lie. Which means that maybe I'm just in the desert and not in either place.........because the unbelief problem would mean I'm outside the promise and yet the devils lies that are keeping me from my full effectiveness would be living inside the promise? I'm just a little confused! =)
5. If you are 'Somewhere in the Middle' between the girl you were and the one you want to be, how do you plan on changing that? Is there a barrier you feel you can't climb? Knowing God is for you and this study group is for you, is there a way we can help? From what I said in the last question, I think we all know I am somewhere in the middle....My plan for changing that ? Continue to press on with the Lord, praying -studying - learning -- TRUSTING- choosing those things each day. My barrier is trust but I think I am climbing it - inch by inch--- or somedays millimeter by millimeter.... How can you help? PRAY that the Lord will heal my unbelief and heal my anxiety and fear that go right along with it!
THANKS prayer warriors!!!
Have a blessed Wednesday!!!! Gotta go get to the housework of the day!
Monday, September 3, 2007
But, alas, in this household that is not to be today.
Today I have a list of things a MILE long to get done.
Including, but not limited to,
1. I have a Dentist appointment at 10AM. Not real sure why the dentist is open today but he is.
2. I cannot do a Menu Monday post until I actually make the menu. SO - Making a menu and a grocery list are next.
3. Actually go to the grocery store so my family can eat.
4. I had an order for 50 cheer bows that are due tomorrow. I have made all of them except for putting the hardware on them but that will take a while. And, since I've only put the hardware on about 7 that leaves me 43 more to go -- TODAY. That is probably where I will spend most of my time today and just pray I will get it done.
5. My girls are getting haircuts today. A friend is coming over to do it.
6. Laundry day at my house. Which IF I was having an actual vacation day - I would skip. But with everything else on my list- I just might at well go ahead and get it done.
Maybe I will be able to get back to you all with the Menu later today (I know you are waiting with bated breath).
We will see!
I hope you all have a fabulous, RESTFUL, last hurrah of summer!
Blessings on each of you!