Thursday, August 30, 2007
Ironically, I didn't have a hard time leaving M. but I teared up quite a few times in leaving A. -- I think it is because pre- K still gives me images of M. being little. But, A. - well she is now in "big kid" school, complete with an agenda and homework.....I cannot believe that she isn't little anymore. I feel like we have closed a chapter in her life and have started a new one......sad but also so exciting.
Leaving them at school and thinking about all of this stuff got me to thinking about something else.
I got to thinking about what I am teaching my girls and really how little time I have to really influence my girls. The most important thing I can do for my children is teach them to love the Lord. I feel a real sense of urgency to do this!
I've always heard this saying but today I believe it more than ever. I feel such a need to make sure my girls love the Lord and really have a desire to serve him and learn about HIM.
And I know one way that I am going to be better at what I teach them. I have a group of ladies I meet with once a month, we call ourselves VW's, to do bible study with. I cannot tell you what a precious group of women these are to me. (Sidebar: If you don't belong to a small group of women who study God's word together and love on one another --find one. I repeat -- FIND ONE NOW! If you are near me, you are welcome to join mine! A group like this one is a REAL blessing from above) In our group, we are starting a new book to study together called Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.
I am so looking forward to getting started on this book and really learning how to shepherd them the way Jesus shepherd's me.
If you have any interest at all in reading this book with me, let me know and maybe we could set something up and talk about the questions together out there in cyberspace somewhere.....
I don't know about you, but disciplining my children is one of the hardest things for me. It isn't that I don't have ways of doing it, I am just wondering how effective they are and I think this book is going to teach me new and more importantly, *BIBLICAL* ways to discipline my girls!
So, for those of you out there who knew this was going to be a difficult day for me -- sending a child to Kindergarten, know I'm making it. I am looking so forward to them coming back home though so I can hear how much they loved (i'm hoping) school!
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
I was over visiting Deidre, at For Such A Time As This, and she was talking about her quiet time this morning and that got me thinking about my own quiet time.
I have, in the past, gotten up at 5am to do my quiet time ( as it is the only true QUIET time in my house). I LOVE getting up that early as it REALLY DOES make my day better! I usually have a bible study that I am working on that I do during my quiet time. I usually also spend some time in prayer and also pray for hubby using The Power of a Praying Wife book by Stormie O'Martian. (Which I HIGHLY recommend if you don't have it).
Right now though - I am not doing a certain bible study. SO, I've been reading through the bible which I intend to continue but I was wondering about your quiet times with the Lord.
What do you do?
What books do you use? Besides the Bible of course.
How long does it last?
What time of day do you do you quiet time?
I'd love to hear from as many of you as possible because along with reading my bible, I'd love a study book that is good for quiet time reading!
Thanks everybody and thanks Deidre for getting me thinking!
Monday, August 27, 2007
Well, we made it back safely from Georgia yesterday. EXHAUSTED but safe! Thanks for all the prayers girls!
Since I have so much housecleaning to accomplish today after being gone for 4 days, I decided to post my menu. I am always looking for new recipes for my family. I am especially on the lookout for crock pot recipes that are healthy to do each Tuesday since we have such a tight schedule on Tuesdays......if you have any great ones, please share!!!
Monday - Chicken and bowtie pasta, garlic bread
Tuesday - Crockpot Italian Beef (from Anne's Cafe- go check it out!) with sweet/white potatoes
Wednesday - FEAST at church
Thursday - Almond-Crusted Tilapia, green beans, and cous cous
Friday - out to eat
Saturday - I'm not sure but maybe chicken taco's, Spanish rice and black beans
Sunday - leftover buffet
Have a great Monday everyone and for more great menu plans go on over to Laura's place.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
My best friend growing up, S got married in Aruba last week and is having a party this weekend to celebrate with everyone. It should be lots of fun! Maybe I will even have a few pictures to share next week.....
Hope you all have a great weekend and please pray for traveling mercies for my girls and I today and Sunday when we start back home.
Blessings on you all!
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Ya'll. Lisa has really done it this time! Lesson 13 of the I AM (so you don't have to be) study is the best one yet (in my humble opinion). It has really spoken to me today, so run, RUN, RUN on over to The Preacher's Wife and join in!
Here are the burning questions and my answers for this week!
1. Do you struggle with a sense of self-worth? How do you perceive this has affected the way you are able to 'keep your head upright'? If not, do you know someone who suffers in this area? I would be lying if I said that I didn't struggle with a sense of self-worth. To be honest, I think it is the biggest struggle of all for me! It seems ALL of my other , hm-hum, "issues" can all be traced back to a lack of self- worth. The biggest being the trust issues I have. I do think, though, that I have made some improvement in the area with time. So, I have days when keeping my head upright is not a problem and then there are days when all I can do is hang my head and cry.
2. What are you most afraid of? Does this fear affect the way you move through life? (Ex. Are you overprotective with children? Afraid to take risks?) Oh goodness. I've had a trial as of late with the fear of death. That it will hurt. That I will leave my kids and husband alone without me. And really - it isn't that I don't think they will be OK without me - it's just I don't want to miss it all! This has been a HUGE struggle and has for the past year really affected my life. I've been to more dr's than I care to admit. BUT - I am beginning to work through it all and by leaning on GOD - I will be victorious!
3. What is one of the most marvelous ways God has provided a need? I can't wait to hear your stories on this one! One of the most marvelous ways God has provided for me is by allowing me this outlet of blogging. New friends, that I may never meet, some that I might - but having real friends who love you no matter what your issues are was a need and HE has provided that...........maybe that isn't what you are looking for. In a more "NEED" way - this happened for my family this year -- Our 4 year old gets to go to pre-k for free because this year we qualified for the program where as last year we did not. And that was God's provision because our insurance is going up too and we really aren't expecting a large raise in salary this coming year.
4. Steve Brown, a Moody Broadcasting Bible Teacher, is one of the first people I ever heard teach the concept that God was not mad at me. I grew up in a denomination that led me to believe He was in a continuous state of disappointment over my failures. How about you? Though in your heart you know God says He loves you, does Satan in your mind ever try to convince you otherwise? OH yes, the devil tries his hardest to make me believe that Jesus is keeping a tally of my "score" and if the good doesn't outweigh the bad then too bad for me. And he whispers things about how bad I am and that I can't possibly be going to heaven.........I've learned not to let him win though.
5. How close are you to your own Promised Land? Not at all, 1/2 way, almost there? By this I mean the place of abundant living and effectiveness here on earth, not the ultimate fulfillment in Glory! Though I hope you are going to heaven, I don't want it to be today! :) I tend to be a pessimist but as I look at this realistically, I'd say I'm at least 1/2 way. I'm learning more everyday and do feel that God is calling me to a certain purpose. I'd love it if you'd pray with me that I receive a feeling of certainty toward this calling and that if it is so, then God will begin to open the doors! There is NOTHING I want more that authenticity in HIM - to be and do what He has planned for me.
That's it! Hope you all have a fabulous day!
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
“Nothing puts life into men like a dying Savior. Get you close to Christ, and carry the remembrance of him about you from day to day, and you will do right royal deeds. Come, let us slay sin, for Christ was slain. Come, let us bury all our pride, for Christ was buried. Come, let us rise to newness of life, for Christ has risen. Let us be united with our crucified Lord in his one great object - let us live and die with him, and then every action of our lives will be very beautiful.” (Spurgeon)
OH, that I would remember every moment of every day that Jesus died for me! I wonder if it wouldn't change a LOT of the things I do. Like when someone I really don't care for comes along if I would remember Jesus on the cross for me maybe I would be reminded to love that person like Christ loved me..........and change my attitude toward that one?
OR when someone says something that really bugs me and I'm about to let my mouth just open and start running, if I remember Jesus on the cross for me would it shut my big mouth?
Or when I feel someone has wronged me over some small or big thing, if I remember Jesus on that cross for me would I forgive instead of feeling like I want to seek revenge in some way?
Or when my children are driving me crazy and I am about to lose my patience with them and yell, if I would remember Jesus on the cross for me would I take a moment a collect myself and respond differently?
Or when my husband isn't doing the things I just really think he should be doing, if I remember Jesus on the cross for me would I let it go and love him more?
These are just a few of the things that came to me as I regard this quote. This is the desire of my heart. To live and die and remember Jesus on the cross FOR ME in every moment of every day so that my life will glorify him in all that I do or say.
Let it be, Lord. Let it be!
What about you? What is this quote saying to you?
I'd LOVE to hear from all of you (don't be a lurker!). There is much to be learned from one another. Speak on and share! I'd love to learn from you!
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
I am so excited to share with you all something the Lord has done for me in this study. Last week in my Thankful Thursday post, I talked about all the things that the Lord has been teaching me during this study. Well, little did I know he was saving the best lesson of all -- the most personal for ME until last. I serve such an awesome God -- in the true sense of the word awesome.
So, here goes. Back in April, I had just finished up leading Breaking Free (another great Beth Moore study) and my ladies had informed me that they really didn't want to take a break for the summer, they wanted to do another. So, I first thought maybe we'd do something different to change it up a little bit and save the next Beth Moore study that I had already chosen (Believing God which we will do in January 08) until the fall..... The ladies weren't really interested in that so I started looking for another Beth Moore study.
SO, I was praying and talking to God one day when he gave me Hebrews 11 to read. I read it, printed it out in two versions and read and thought on it quite often. God had been leading me to things to read in his word quite often during that time so I didn't think much about this chapter having to do with the bible study --- just with me. I knew I had trust issues, and I knew this chapter in Hebrews dealt with faith and I knew there was a lesson there for me. But, as I read the verses, I couldn't figure out what I was to learn from it at that time.....It was a great chapter....all these faithful people trusting God, so I took it at face value and didn't think a lot more about it at the time.
I started looking for a Beth Moore study to do in the summer. When I looked at the Patriarch's study, I thought "This is it. This is what we need to do this summer".
I knew that this was the study God wanted us to do but I didn't realize at the time that it was for *me* as much, if not more , than for any of the others that were there. In the last video session, Beth talked about how God ties everything IN together. That the Old Testament is tied to the New Testament.....we all know that I know but stay with me here.
Beth was talking about how any of us who have faith, are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith (Gal. 3:9) and that if we have received Christ, then we are heirs according to the promise (Gal 3:29). THEN she said it. And in Hebrews 11......
All of a sudden I knew! This whole study had been for me. God told me to study on Hebrews 11 way back in April but I didn't get what he wanted me to know. HE sent me to the Patriarchs study to learn this.......... Hebrews 11: 13 - 16 says this: "Each of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it? They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world." That the Hall of Faith (as Hebrews 11 is often to referred to) ties the fulfillment of the the Patriarchal promises to us as Christians.
And do you know the initial lesson (as I am sure that as I study and restudy this that there will be MANY MANY more) that was for me is?
TO accept that we are transients in this world. TO really accept it. That this world is NOT our home and to learn to own the longing for a better place that HE has placed inside me. Do you remember? I have had a debilitating FEAR of death as of late.........I believe that God used this lesson to speak to me!!!!! If you think that you can add to what God wants to teach me, please do share you thoughts!
I just wanted to share with you all what has happened and what God has done for me. I sat and cried (again) as I realized that God led me to this lesson and this study. HE has a plan and it is ALWAYS good and the best plan. Praise be to our Great El Olam!!!
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Anyway - it's back and you should join us. Go on over to Lisa's (The Preacher's Wife) and check it out!
Here are our burning questions for the week....
1. We discussed how we are God's fame and He is ours. Have you ever been in a situation where you are applauded for your ministry and had to fight back the idol of pride? Ever been tempted to believe your own press? It's okay to admit it! Your testimony will help others in their resolve!
Oh my goodness, yes. I hate to admit it but that pride just wells up and I have to fight it back. Leading bible studies and being in the position I'm in, I often have to opportunity to assist in people learning more about God. It's sometimes hard not to be tempted to think I'm so great because "Look at all I'm doing for God - growing HIS kingdom" When really - It's ALL HIM!
2. Did it ever occur to you in the 3-way drama of God, Job, and Satan that Satan was the only one outside the loop as far as Job's reactions would be? Does this encourage you in resolving to make a fool of him when he attempts to use you to defame the Name?
Actually I was just pondering on whether or not Satan knew everything the other day and God told me he wasn't! However, to answer the question - no I had never thought about Satan being outside the loop...
3. Are you in a situation now where you feel you are being overcome? Better yet, are you in a situation where you should have been overcome but are not?
Depends on the day mostly. Sometimes I feel I should be overcome......but sometimes I really feel that I am the over comer!!!!
4. Have you failed in a Satan-designed trial? Can you recognize God intends for this failure to refine and resolve you for next time? God is not out for your destruction but your perfection!
Oh, many many times I'm sure. Sometimes I fail at just trusting God above all else. And I KNOW he is teaching me things -- mostly how to trust HIM and Love HIM and glorify HIM above all else ALL THE TIME!
5 . Can you describe yourself as a Wonders Junkie? Found yourself in spiritual highs and lows depending on whether you perceived God was doing wondrous things or not?
I don't think so....
6. Have you ever been like Philip and had God right in your face and not recognized Him?
With out a doubt many times....I've learned to watch for him more carefully.
7. Journal a brief prayer asking God for His Glory. Let it be the thing we all desire above all else.....
Ah, Lord God,
I pray that your Glory will be my first. last and best desire each and every day. Not my fame but yours only Lord. Teach me humility, so that I can do YOUR work and give you all the Glory you so deserve.
Have a great Thursday girls!
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Today....I am proud to announce that our youngest has FINALLY given up her passy. This was difficult for her. She loved her passy and spends her time waffling between being a "bid gul" (big girl) and "I not a bid gul" when she wants her passy. But, we have successfully made it through 4 nights and 3 naps WITHOUT the passy! I'm so proud of her -- now if we can just get the potty training with such ease!
Today....I am thankful to my Lord for the day ahead of me. For the opportunity to live it for HIM and be His light in this world. I pray that I remain mindful of this as the day continues.
Today.....I am thankful for the 4 beds that need new sheets because Tuesday's are our "bed stripping day" as my girls call it. Thankful because it is a reminder that I have been blessed with a husband and 3 sweet children who are all gifts from above. Hopefully I can remember that with I am struggling with the sheets and comforters on my girls beds that are against the wall. And I guess that I am going to try and be thankful the the two bathrooms that need to be cleaned and the floors that need to be mopped for the same reason......right?
Today...I am looking forward to the prospect of my first ever yoga class tonight. I've heard this is good for anxiety and I am hoping to get to go tonight.
Today...I am thankful for you all out there who are praying for my "fear" issues.....you don't know how much I appreciate your prayers!
Anyway - I hope you girls have a good Tuesday! I am now thinking this post is rather like Thankful Thursday a little early.....but I NEED to be thankful everyday so here it is anyway.
Monday, August 6, 2007
I took off to Atlanta a week ago Friday for my sister's 30th birthday party. We had a great time there. They have an awesome pool in her neighborhood that has a children's play area sort of like a water park. LOADS of fun! Check out my three girls having a blast!
The girls then went to North Georgia with to stay with two sets of grandparents (they have 4). Where they were spoiled rotten to the "nth degree" and I'm not just saying that. They had loads of fun with Grammy and Granddaddy and NaNa and PaPa! And their Aunt and Uncle and cousins were around to visit with them too so they had lots of fun!
And here is one more shot of the cake -- just so you can get the full view!