Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Missed Opportunity

Do you believe that God places angels in your path to see how you will respond to them?
I do.

And I missed out on the opportunity to glorify HIM this morning. And I am devastated by it!

Here is what happened. I get my girls in the van to take them to school. After pulling out of my driveway, I see a little old lady walking down one of the side streets toward me.
It was FREEZING cold (literally) this morning. The lady has on a small sweater coat (you know the sweatshirt kind that older women wear alot), and her purse on her arm.

These are the thoughts that went through my head.

"It is way too cold for her to be walking down the street this morning. I wonder where she is going!"

"Maybe I should offer her a ride"

"But, if I don't get these two to school, they are going to be late"

Then the Lord added,

"Whatever you do to the least of these, you do unto me." (Matthew 25:40)

By this time, I've long since passed her up and have turned onto the next road. I even turned on my blinker to turn around and go get her. BUT again the nagging.

"The girls are going to be late for school"

So, I reasoned in my head that I would hurry and drop the girls off at their classrooms and go back to pick the little old lady up and take her to where ever she was going.

I mean, she couldn't go far! She was elderly and couldn't walk that fast. So, I would just find her and take her on to where she was going.

SO - I fussed at my girls to hurry and get out of the car and ran them to their classrooms and leave fully intending to go back and get the lady.

She was gone. I searched every which way she could have went and she wasn't there.

I am totally ashamed. NOT only did I miss the opportunity to do for the least of these, but I was also ugly to my girls. Clearly, I deserve the award for Preacher's Wife of the Year!

I have asked for forgiveness.

Hebrews 13: 2 "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

1 comment:

Tammy said...

That is one of the great things about the God we serve.... He always gives second chances. I bet you will be on the look out and ready when the next opportunity comes knockin'! :)