Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday's In Other Words


"They gave our Master a crown of thorns.

Why do we hope for a crown of roses?”




I often wonder why we Christians always think our lives should be easy and go just as we think it should. I am embarrassed to admit that I, also, have had expectation of "the good life" from time to time. There was a part of me that thought when I became engaged to a pastor that my marriage would be just the best.one.ever! And that hubs
and I would just get along famously all the time and our marriage would never be
any work at all.

Well.

I've learned that isn't so. Marriage is hard work no matter what. And I think that life is designed that way on purpose. I think God allows the things in our lives to be difficult on us so that we learn to lean on him at all times!

It amazes me how many times I hear people say "God will never give you more than you can handle". I hear it all the time. When someone is sick in a family, the people say "But, HE will not give us more than we can bear". This is a comforting statement - but it isn't what the bible says really. We are all usually looking for a reason to believe that God really does want our lives to be a bed of roses.

When people use this statement, they are usually referring to 1 Corinthians 10:13 which reads:

13"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.".

This verse really isn't about God giving us more than we can handle in our lives, instead it is really referring to the temptations in our lives. It clearly states that none of our personal temptations are anything other than what is common for all of us. It does say that He will never allow us to be tested beyond what we can bear but go on and read the rest of the verse......do you see it? It says that when we are tempted (BECAUSE we WILL be tempted) that He will provide a way out so we can stand up against the temptation.


See, I believe that God does give us more than we humanly can handle in life so that we will turn to HIM. Otherwise - we would be able to boast of our own strength and how we "made it through". If we can handle it on our own - then we wouldn't need to depend on God and then it is just us making it through on pure human will and determination.


I believe God gives us MORE than we can handle because it is an opportunity for us to make HIM famous and be HIS glory revealed. If we are going through something that is humanly impossible and yet, through HIS greatness we are able to handle it and can share that with the world, then WOW! We are making him famous. And isn't that what life is really all about? Knowing God and making him known to others?


If Jesus, our LORD and Savior, wasn't given life on "easy" street, why should we think we deserve that? God never promised us that life. He did promise that HE would always be with us and see us through. As hard as it is, I am trying to be thankful when God gives me more than I can handle because it gives me the opportunity to lean on HIM. And with HIM, I can make though whatever comes my way. Maybe not with a crown of roses - living it up and easy street, but I will take the hard street anytime if it means I am growing closer to my maker!

Blessings on each of you today. Go on over to Sting My Heart for more IOW.>

9 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, very beautifully said.

ellen b said...

"it is an opportunity for us to make HIM famous and be HIS glory revealed" Amen to that thought! I appreciate your thoughts today. Blessings.

MiPa said...

I, too, believe God gives us things we cannot humanly bear so that He can bear it for us. Great post! Bless you for sharing.

Lisa M said...

Wow - I think God definitely inspired your words in this post. How true that we only grow closer with Him when we need Him most. If things were always great we would never reach for our Savior. Thanks Mindy!

Old Fashioned Girl said...

1Cor10:13 is the first verse I was ever given. Thank you for explaining it so beautifully and sincerely.

Angie said...

Mindy--that very verse is on my counter in my bathroom---flipped it over last time and haven't moved it since. We need that reminder. We will be tempted...but He is there--offering a way out---a helping hand up!
Thanks for sharing this---it is encouraging!---and I have 3 brother-in-laws that are ministers....so I would say being married to a minister has got to be tougher than the norm. You live in glass houses. All the world can see. But you are also that great light----that when persecutions come your way, others can see how you cope, WHO you turn to ----and they are encouraged.
Be blessed Mindy!

lori said...

Mindy,
I loved what you said...God does give us more than we can HUMANLY handle at times so that we indeed turn to him. How wonderfully stated!!
Your post today blessed me, I love reading what others feel when they read these quotes!

By the way, its my first visit and I LOVE the look of your blog..the colors, the layout..very cool!!
peace today,
lori

Karen said...

Thanks so much for sharing that. The fact is, as Believers, we should not be surprised at testings and trials. Yet, I do find myself being surprised at times when I go through something trying. Jesus suffered much and we are not and cannot be greater than our Master. Thanks for all you shared.

Karen
http://thetagblog.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

Great post, Mindy. I agree.