Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Disappointment

Last night I was flipping through the TV channels, while doing laundry, and came upon Dr. Phil. Now, I don't think Dr. Phil is bad - I actually believe he has some worthwhile things to say most of the time. But, it isn't a show I normally watch.
Anyways - TD Jakes was on the show last night. So, since he was on there to help "counsel" the people on the show - I was very interested in hearing what he would say to people. I figured that this man who pastors a church of 30,000 members would be "representin'" for the faith!
I was sorely disappointed!
He helped counsel a husband and wife on the brink of divorce. The wife thinks the husband should be making more money to provide her the kind of lifestyle she desires. Both TD Jakes and Dr. Phil told the husband that he needed to really pay attention to what the wife was asking him for.
He helped counsel a man who was angry at the world. And he helped counsel a couple whose son had shot himself accidentally with a gun from their home.

None of the advice given to these people was bad really, but here is what disappointed me. I never once heard him ask these people if they had a church or christian counselor to go to. Nor did he mention the bible -what God would say about the situation. Or even mention that God was the way to healing for these people......

I suppose, maybe, he wasn't allowed to say anything because it was the Dr. Phil show?
And to give him the benefit of a doubt, he could have talked to each one of them about God AFTER the show......
I just was sorely disappointed. I thought for sure that TD Jakes would be turning these people to the LORD. Not just aiding in giving them the clinical psychology answers to their problems.
Anyone else see it? Here is a link if you want to check it out.
Any thoughts?
Hope you all have a great Tuesday.

11 comments:

Lacy said...

i didn't see him on that particular show, but i have seen him on oprah, too. he definitely doesn't get to counsel them they way he would when he's leading the show (or preaching, writing books, etc). i personally thinks he takes these opportunities when asked to be on the shows even when he can't fully express his heart because it helps just to get out there and at least be a positive voice. i know we would like to hear him say so much more in those moments, but i think they limit him casue he definitely doesn't hold back when you hear/see him in other outlets.
Lacy

Nise' said...

I did not see this show either. Not a regular watcher of Dr. Phil. You have to wonder if he talked to them after the taping(I hope so)and how much was edited or as you said maybe he was coached about what he said.

Angie said...

I didn't see it either, wish I had. Never watched a full segment. I will go to the link though!
I have heard that much is edited....but hopefully, he did talk to them about the Lord and what He could/would do in their lives.

The Preacher's Wife said...

This same thing happened when the Women of Faith and Jennifer Rothschild were on...

I can't help but wonder why Christians accept these invitations knowing they are going to be muzzled? Am I wrong in asking that question?

Mindy said...

THANK YOU!!! That is my question as well!

TDJakes said...

Ya I agree. Seems like he was muzzled. They must tell him what he can and can't say on the show. I suppose its good he at least got to be on the show but he usually has much more to say. God bless.


Christian J.

His Doorkeeper said...

I had the same reaction when I watched the show but then again, Dr. Phil is a secular show and have you ever seen a show like his or Oprah who asked "Christian" leaders/pastors/writers/singers on their show and allowed them the freedom to be themselves? The secular world usually completely ignores all these people even though there are millions of us Christians out there. We are not represented in the secular television world!

Old Fashioned Girl said...

It is strange and disappointing. Presumably if Dr Phil turned up on a Christian show he'd give secular advice so I don't see why a Pastor shouldn't be giving Christian advice on a secular show. Very strange.

Cyndi said...

The only person I have really seens speak out without holding *anything* back on a nationwide television is John MacArthur on Larry King Live. Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me about the Dr. Phil show. Like you, I'm disappointed, though.

Joyce said...

I understand where you are coming from. I watch Dr. Phil once in a while. I did not see that one. One I did see was about a set of triplets who are deaf and blind and the help he was able to get for the parents to teach the three to sign. Some good, most bad.

Anonymous said...

I heard the show you are referring to, and I was also very disappointed in TD Jakes. We are in a fallen world and they need to hear the strength the blood of Jesus gives. We are not to deny Him or keep Him as some secret. The Jews and Muslims profess their faith at the drop of a hat, but Christians want to hide and only exalt God is church and among other Christians. That doesn't make sense. We are supposed to light and salt to this world, and the only way that can be done is lifting up the name of Jesus every chance we get and speaking the truth. If TD Jakes was given limitation, because he sounded very guarded on the show, then he shouldn't have done the show. It's about Christ, not self. Too many of these preachers are making it about themselves and not Christ! And we are not to deny our Father! This world need more Christ!