Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thankful Thursday


I am so thankful this week for the bible study we are just finishing up at our church. This is our last week of The Patriarchs by Beth Moore. It has been fabulous and let me tell you there was NO shortage of things to learn. I sat and cried this morning as Jacob died in the last day of home study. I am sure that on Sunday night there will be no shortage of tears (from my eyes not the rest of the group) that this is over. SO sad! BUT so HAPPY and thankful for all I've learned. There are so many nuggets of truth to be thankful over that I cannot tell you all of them. Some of these are new lessons for me. Some of them are repeated lessons -- sort of like learning multiplication tables as a child....have to have that repetition until I get it! Here are a few!


* The study started with Abraham. The question was asked, "Why did God choose Abraham to be the first Patriarch?" The answer? Just maybe because he was willing to go.....Let it be, Lord that I am always willing to go where you tell me to go!


*God is always for us! Romans 8:31.


* There was the story of Melchizedek which I was just awed by. And in this same day - we met El Elyon - God Most High. That name of our Lord conjures up awesome pictures in my head!


* He is also El Roi - The God who sees ME!


*Nothing is too hard for God! He can use even me.


*Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph all tended to make the same mistakes over and over again. NOT unlike me.....What an encouragement it is to see that God was with them always even in their repeated foolery.


*He is El Olam. The Eternal God.....Always was. Always will be!
*A reminder to be ever aware of what I am passing on to my children. As Isaac favored Esau the sin of partiality to one child was passed down. Jacob then favored Joseph.
*Turn desperation into devotion to HIM! Leah was desperate for Jacob's love. Rachel was desperate for his children. If we don't turn our desperation for something into devotion to God then it turns into UNhealthy obsession!
*I have to prepare ourselves to meet God!
*To become spiritually mature my focus has to change from what I can get FROM God.....to just HIM for what and who HE is!
*God's sovereignty is fully trustworthy!
*I need to remain always teachable so I can draw nearer to HIM.
*Humility is of gargantuan importance to HIM. Otherwise I seek my own glory and not HIS!
* God has many blessings for me just as he had for the Patriarchs. BUT, I have to be willing to accept them!
Thanks for reading this long list! Go on over and visit Iris at Sting My Heart and add your thankful list! Have a great Thursday!


10 comments:

Denise said...

You bless me with your thankful heart dear one.

Nise' said...

I loved The Patriarchs! Thank you for the reminder to turn our desperation into devotion! I needed that today.

Angie said...

Mindy I loved your comments on the Beth Moore Bible Study! We haven't had that one yet, but have recently finished up "Beloved Disciple"...I know the tears!
Thanks for sharing such a precious list of thankfulness! It blessed me!

ellen b said...

I'm so looking forward to another group Bible Study at church that will start up in September. Thanks for sharing about yours...

Robin said...

We did the Patriarch's this past spring - I totally agree!
Thanks for your thankfulness today!

Deidre said...

That's a great list. I haven't done that study yet, but I do understand the 'tears' after you finish one of Beth's studies.
Blessings to you!

ColoradoDreaming said...

How cool! It sounds wonderful!!!

MJS4Him said...

I just loved your list. It was great. I missed out on this study when my church did it. Maybe I can do it with a couple of girlfriends.

Love your blog!

A Place For Ministry Wives said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. I hope you frequent it. I LOVE YOUR BLOG DESIGN. It's adorable. I can't wait until I have a new design up for mine. Maybe 2-4 weeks. Be sure and visit again!

Ang baylis said...

I just LOVED your Thankful Thursday! I needed to hear it just now! It's a lot to take in... so I'm pretty convicted that I have another study to put on my list! They are ALL amazing! We are all so blessed to have Beth Moore to touch our lives in her own way! I am so grateful for her obedience! I wonder where I would be if my friend wouldn't have introduced me to her studies a few years ago!

Have a great Tuesday!
-angie xoxo