Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Making It!

I took two of my girls and dropped them off at school this morning for their first day. M. (my 4 year old) is in a 5 day a week pre-k program. A. (my 5 year old) started Kindergarten today.


Ironically, I didn't have a hard time leaving M. but I teared up quite a few times in leaving A. -- I think it is because pre- K still gives me images of M. being little. But, A. - well she is now in "big kid" school, complete with an agenda and homework.....I cannot believe that she isn't little anymore. I feel like we have closed a chapter in her life and have started a new one......sad but also so exciting.


Leaving them at school and thinking about all of this stuff got me to thinking about something else.


I got to thinking about what I am teaching my girls and really how little time I have to really influence my girls. The most important thing I can do for my children is teach them to love the Lord. I feel a real sense of urgency to do this!





Time flies.


I've always heard this saying but today I believe it more than ever. I feel such a need to make sure my girls love the Lord and really have a desire to serve him and learn about HIM.





And I know one way that I am going to be better at what I teach them. I have a group of ladies I meet with once a month, we call ourselves VW's, to do bible study with. I cannot tell you what a precious group of women these are to me. (Sidebar: If you don't belong to a small group of women who study God's word together and love on one another --find one. I repeat -- FIND ONE NOW! If you are near me, you are welcome to join mine! A group like this one is a REAL blessing from above) In our group, we are starting a new book to study together called Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.


I am so looking forward to getting started on this book and really learning how to shepherd them the way Jesus shepherd's me.
If you have any interest at all in reading this book with me, let me know and maybe we could set something up and talk about the questions together out there in cyberspace somewhere.....
I don't know about you, but disciplining my children is one of the hardest things for me. It isn't that I don't have ways of doing it, I am just wondering how effective they are and I think this book is going to teach me new and more importantly, *BIBLICAL* ways to discipline my girls!

So, for those of you out there who knew this was going to be a difficult day for me -- sending a child to Kindergarten, know I'm making it. I am looking so forward to them coming back home though so I can hear how much they loved (i'm hoping) school!

Blessings ya'll!

2 comments:

Deidre said...

I have this book, Mindy, but I haven't read it yet. I've been reading 'Sacred Parenting' which is really good. I need to start the one you're suggesting.

Glad your day is going well. I thought of you this morning.

Cyndi said...

Oh, this book has been so instrumental in helping me shepherd my children. I'm so glad you are doing this study! As mine approached their pre-teen and teen years I found his brother's book, "Age of Opportunity" to be a blessing as well.

What an exciting time as your girls (and YOU!!) begin a new chapter. I know that each page of this new chapter will be filled with testimonies of His greatness and of Him drawing your sweet girls to Himself. You are such a godly mother.