Pages

Friday, July 20, 2007

Pondering On........The Hiding Place


Hi girls! I have just recently begun to read the book The Hiding Place (I don't know how to underline the title - if you know - please tell me =)). It is story of Corrie Ten Boom. I have only read a few chapters so far but already there are many wise quotes to ponder on.

Here is one that really struck me in the first chapter.


" I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do."


I have been thinking on this and I do believe it to be true. No matter if the experiences in our lives are good or bad, they can and will be part of what God uses if we allow that to be so.

As a girl who was sexually abused as a child I KNOW this is so. That experience was very -VERY bad and definitely NOT something God wanted to happen to me. However, if I allow him to - HE can use it and it will be a part of the work He calls me to do.

I believe that God is calling me to become a Christian Counselor. I've always had a strong interest in psychology and can remember even in high school contemplating it as a career path. Back then, I allowed others to convince me that there weren't many jobs out there in psychology (I ask you, "WHO do you know that DOESN'T need a counselor?").

So, I opted, instead, to become an Exceptional Education Teacher. I did this for only a year and a couple of months before my first child was born and I became a stay at home mom. I absolutely LOVE getting to be home with my daughters but I also feel that God has another purpose for me. The longing to be a counselor has not diminished, it has, in fact, become stronger.

I also now know that God is calling me to not just be a counselor and work in the field of psychology but also be a BIBLICAL counselor - who counsels using the bible as my primary guide. NOW, there are many things left that have to be worked out for this to all come to fruition.

But, I KNOW the Lord will work them out. In the meantime, I just have to be patient. Yeah, that is so hard!


I'd love to hear from you ladies! What do you think of this quote?

Do you agree with it? How does it apply to your life?


Looking forward to your comments!


5 comments:

Jen said...

I have to say, I absolutely agree with this statement. I have watched repeatedly as God takes the seemingly ashes of my life and turns them into something of beauty that can glorify Him.
I have also watched as I have done the mundane, the everyday necessary things....that He speaks and connects and changes me in order that I am prepared for the next thing He is asking of me.

He uses all of it when we let Him...the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Sandy said...

Thanks for visiting me, Mindy!
I hope you win!
Sandy
4 Reluctant Entertaienrs

Diann said...

Oh wow, Mindy. I'm so excited to see that God is giving you a glimpse of the future that He has for you. It will be neat for you to watch how He works out all the details between here and there. I love it when God turns something that the enemy intended for bad into something good for His name! Please keep us updated on your journey.

Karen said...

Mindy, I fully agree with this quote. I have seen it many times in my life, but especially since the sudden, unexpected death of my sister 8 1/2 years ago. That event has had the most profound effect on my life in so many ways--I certainly would not be who I am today without that experience. I have been amazed since then how many people God brings down my path who have had similar experiences in their lives. And in a situation like this--and yours, I'm sure--if you haven't been through it, you just can't fully understand the hurt and pain that is experienced. So I wholeheartedly agree that if we allow Him to, God can indeed "work all things together for good"--not to say the events themselves are good, but He can work His miracles and allow good to come of them.

Thanks for sharing...I'll look forward to more thoughts from this book!!

Love and blessings, Karen

Lynnae (From Under the Clutter) said...

The Hiding Place is one of my FAVORITE books, so I just had to comment!

I absolutely believe that statement to be true. I think it's basically a rephrasing of Roman's 8:28. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who are called according to his purpose."

It doesn't mean that all things in our life will be good, but that if we put our faith and trust in Jesus, he can use all of our experiences, both the good and the bad, for his glory.

In my life I saw it when I was struggling with infertility. I hated that I couldn't get pregnant, but through the time we were struggling, I had the privilege of coming alongside others who were struggling with the same issue. I was able to encourage and pray for them. And most importantly, I could understand what they were going through. We have since been blessed with two children, which I praise God for.