Pages

Monday, July 30, 2007

The Hiding Place


Girls,

I have just finished reading The Hiding Place. I loved it. There is so much wisdom in this book. The Ten Boom family were all great examples of people who truly put God first and loved others before themselves.
There are so many lessons for me in this book that I think I am going to have to go find a copy to buy so I can mark the quotes that spoke to me and read and reread it to see what else it has to say. As I am sure that each time I read it there will me more wisdom and new lessons.
For today, here are a couple of lessons.
I guess the first lesson is just how much they trusted the LORD. These people set up a "hiding place" for the Jews who were being persecuted in their home and ran an underground network to try and help them out of harms way. As a result they ended up in concentration camps and living the unspeakable life right along with those they were trying to help. And inside the camps, they were still about God's business. Corrie and Betsie led worship services in their camp for the women and led a lot of them to Christ. They trusted that the Lord would give them strength to endure whatever was coming their way. And he always did . What trust. Let it be also for me Lord, Jesus that I trust you for the strength I need to endure whatever comes my way.
Second, they cared more for others than themselves. What a lesson for us all! In this day of being all consumed with "looking out for #1", we'd all do well to remember that Christ's command is to "Love others as we love ourselves and even our enemies!" Betsie Ten Boom was always praying for the guards at the concentration camp. Before she died in the concentration camp, she would often speak of opening a home for them once they were all released so they could learn that love is better than hate. What a sermon that preaches. Let it be me, Lord. Let me care for my enemies who press down on all sides more than myself. Show me how to love them with YOUR love and forgiveness.
In Corrie Ten Booms later years, as she traveled around in Germany and spoke of what she had learned in the concentration camp life, one of the German guards came up and thanked her for showing him that Jesus had also washed his sin away. This man had been one of the jailers who laughed and mocked her and the other women in the concentration camp, and here he was wanting to shake her hand. She tried twice and couldn't do it. Couldn't forgive. She prayed twice that the Lord would give her the forgiveness and was finally able to shake the man's hand. And here is what she said she learned.
" And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness anymore than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When he tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself." What a sermon is in that one quote. OH, that I, Lord, will rely on you so much as to receive the love you have to give me to forgive. I don't have the strength without you Lord. Please, let it be.
I think that is enough to really ponder on this day. If you've not read this book, I encourage you to read it. Have a great Monday everyone!
Dear Father in Heaven,I pray that you will keep these lessons in my mind as I go through this day. Remind me to constantly rely on you and only on you. NEVER on my own strength but yours, Jesus. Bring the Ten Boom's words to my mind and let them speak your wisdom to my heart this day. I love you Lord. Grant I will ever be learning to love you more! Amen.

8 comments:

Deidre said...

Hi Mindy!
I have this book and tried to read it once (right after O. was born), but it was so intense, I couldn't read much of it. Maybe it was the season I was in (with a newborn). You've made me want to pick it up again.

Oh, and I think mine came from Amazon.com.

Have a great week! :)

Hey, did I ever ask you if we live near each other?

Mindy said...

Yes, I emailed you about that....I'm guessing you didn't get it....
email me at mindymc5@charter.net and let me know where you are.
I've actually emailed you twice about that and that our girls are close to the same ages.......
let me hear from you! It would be great to meet if we are near by.

Cyndi said...

Yes!! I love her!! I reread this book last year, but put it aside midway through and have it on my list for this year. The kids and I read her biography last year. So, so powerful.

I remember reading "Tramp for the Lord" a few years ago and loving this quote:

"But the joy is that Corrie Ten Boom knew what to do with her sins. When I confessed them to the Father, Jesus Christ washed them in His blood. They are now cast into the deepest sea and a sign is put up that says, NO FISHING ALLOWED."

I think of this when I am tempted to "go fishing."

Have a blessed day!

Lisa M said...

Mindy ~ I have never read this book but after reading your thoughts on it I am going to place it on my list of books to read. I'm sure it will be a very moving book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. Lisa

Deidre said...

Mindy, I saw your comment. NO, I didn't see your e-mails because I didn't check the e-mail acct. that is linked to my blog. I'm so sorry. I'll respond really soon. It's been crazy around here. I posted something tonight that reveals why.

But, now I have the e-mails and I'll be in touch. And, yes, we do live close to one another ... less than 20 miles. Weird, huh?

Angie said...

I have got to read this book----I have it on my shelf. Purchased on the recomendation of my Sunday School teacher....but haven't made time to read it w/all the other reading I have going on.
Thanks for highlighting this book and sharing your encouraging thoughts!
I am always blessed to be here.
Have a great week!!

RealEstateGirl said...

You're right, it is a great book and my son loves the video.

I met her when I was a little girl (on the mission field) in Brazil.

Amazing woman!

Deedra said...

I have heard a lot of great things about this book, but haven't had the time to read it. You have inspired me to fit some reading time into my week somewhere!