Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday's In Other Words

"Until you settle the issue of your own worth, it's impossible to bring holiness into anyone else's life. Until you understand that your worth is already determined by the fact of your birth, everything else is an exercise in propping up a dying tree." Carol Brazo


Last Friday, I was perusing Christian Women Online and I saw today's quote for In Other Words. When I read it I thought -- I will not be able to post anything on that one because I have a HARD time seeing my own worth in any way -- much less through God's way.
Well - this past weekend was a revolutionary one for me. If you have time and want to read about that go here and see what God has done for me.
After this weekend, I have a different perspective on this quote. It has taken years for me to fully get it that my worth comes from God alone. It is something I find myself repeating to myself alot. And it is something that I already find myself speaking to my children about. Just this week I heard my 5 year old PRESCHOOLER tell her sisters (who are 3 and 2 by the way) that she wanted to stay skinny (which - did I mention -- the girl is skinnier than either of her sister's -- she is very petite). I was appalled that she said that. She also already worries about how her clothing looks.....I am trying to teach her that her worth comes from Gods love and not from what she wears or how she looks.
As a girls whose self -esteem was shattered by childhood abuse I spent years -- literally -- just until this past weekend learning (and still have far to go) that my worth is from HIM and that is the ONLY worth that matters. And I have to say that I think it is true that until you know your own worth - you cannot bring holiness into anyone else's life. I can honestly say that I feel CLOSER to God since this past Sunday. That I really feel IN LOVE with my Lord. For a long time when I would hear people talk about this love they had for their savior and how it made them so happy inside -- joyful -- I didn't understand it and quite honestly tended to think they might be a little bit c.r.a.z.y.....but I TOTALLY get it now. I love Jesus. I listen to music on the radio now and have a sheepish smile thinking about how much HE loves me too! This knowledge of his love for me made me love HIM so much more and gives me a passion for HIM. It is a lesson that I know HE has been teaching me (for a really long time) and I am sure there is MUCH more to learn still.
I think that only when we can really say we understand how much HE loves us can our passion for him show through. God has placed 4 friends in my life who for years I've been watching -- wanting what they have with God.....See, I knew that something about these women was different -- THEY had a REAL relationship with God and not just something they gave lip service. They really loved their Lord and it was evident in all that they said and all that they did. I think that only when we know our worth in HIM do we become that person that other's can look at and say "She is different. I want what she has."
I hope that one day the women that I am around can say this about me. And then I will no longer be "propping up a dying tree" but be growing beautifully and producing spiritual fruit because I am attached FULLY to the vine.
If you want to add your own perspective to this IOW quote, visit Christine at Fruit In Season.

12 comments:

Denise said...

Sweet blessings to you beautiful one.

Tara Sloan said...

Know that you inspire me just by being you- the awesome woman of God He has made and called you to be!
Never question your worth! Picture it oozing out of you! You are a world shaker and an atmosphere changer!
I know we haven't "met" face to face- but still I have been provoked to holiness by you, the words you "speak", and the life you live.

MiPa said...

I love how your new-found feeling of worth pours out of this post. What a blessing you already were--and what a blessing you will continue to be as you undertand and let God pour His worth through you.

Denise said...

Hey sweety, yes I do know where lookout mountain is.I live very close to hamilton place mall. It is a small world, bless you.

Pearls of Wisdom said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing.

In his endless love,

Angel ( Angel Mama Pearl of Wisdom)

Christine said...

To be a tree producing fruit, rather than struggling to survive, is something we all want. Thanks for posting today, Mindy!

Nise' said...

Awesome testimony to God's working in your life. Thanks for sharing.

Rachelle said...

What an amazing story Mindy. God really does everything in His own time, doesn't He? Praise God for this new and beautiful change in your life!

Amy said...

Excellent post Mindy! What an amazing God we serve!

Janie Hickok Siess, Esq. said...

This is my visit to your blog, but I will come back and read more. Excellent post and very brave!

Cyndee said...

I can just FEEL how excited you are about finally connecting with the God of the universe. It is an amazing feeling to be worthy just because. Thanks for sharing!

Ginger said...

I'm so proud of you and inspired by you!! PS -- I want the same for my nieces!! They are too wonderful to think anything less of themselves than what is true!
Love you!!