Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pondering On ............Heaven

So, the other day A (my oldest daughter who is 5) asked me about heaven.

"Mom, where is heaven?"

I searched my brain for how to answer her.....I finally said, "Well, the bible says that Jesus ascended into heaven and ascended means go up so I guess it is up there above the clouds somewhere." Lame answer - I know.

That, unfortunately wasn't the end of the conversation.....

"Mom, so then do we get to sit and walk on the clouds?"

Again - searching my brain -- I said " Well - the bible says that in heaven the streets are made of gold" I know - I didn't really answer her question.

Then she said " I bet Granny McKaig and Aunt Barbara (the only two people she has ever known closely who've passed away) were happy to see each other up there."

"Yes, I bet so." I said.

So - this conversation has gotten me pondering heaven.

Here is what HIS word has to say about heaven -

Phil. 3: 20-21(The Message)
But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.


Revelation 4 (NIV)
The Throne in Heaven 1After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this." 2At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. 3And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian. A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne. 4Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. 5From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. Before the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits[a] of God. 6Also before the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." 9Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: 11"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

and one more:

New Heavens and a New Earth 17 "Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.
18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.
20 "Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth; he who fails to reach [a] a hundred will be considered accursed.
21 They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the works of their hands.
23 They will not toil in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the LORD, they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, but dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD.

Those verses say a lot, I know.....but then there is just so much left to the imagination too I think. I asked my hubby last night what he thought and as he isn't someone who likes to daydream much (he is very analytical) all he had to say was "It will be a perfect place". TRUE - but I want more.....So, if you read this post - PLEASE let me know what you thing.
Will we know our loved ones in heaven?
Will we have jobs? OR will our only job be to PRAISE our maker all the time for all eternity?
Will we marry do you think? (I heard someone preach on this one once but I still would like your opinion)
COME ON GIRLS - tell me what you think heaven will be like.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I always understood that the Bible said there won't be giving or taking of marriage in heaven, so we'll be single. Perhaps that is because we are the bride of Christ and belong to Him only. I hope there is dating--dating was fun! :)

Just this morning I said to my son, I'll be glad when we're in heaven because we won't be tired in the morning.

Ginger said...

I'm so glad you shared the story about A -- it brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. I have been told (by our Mom) that we will not be married in Heaven which is sort of sad to me. I sure hope that I get to see & know (as I knew them here) Granny & Pa and Aunt Barbara and Tim's dad -- it will be wonderful to meet him --and anyone else I love that goes on before me. Love you! (By the way -- you didn't do the 7 Random Things -- I'm mad!) ;)

RealEstateGirl said...

Mindy, I agree that I don't think there will be marriage in heaven. But we will know, as we were known here on earth.

I'm sad that there won't be any more ocean! I love the ocean! But, I won't be sad in heaven, for PRAISING my FATHER! I won't be missin' the ocean then!

Right after my father passed away 6 1/2 months ago, my mom bought the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. Now she is teaching it in Sunday School and a weekly Bible Study. I bought the book, but haven't read it yet, but from what my mom says, it's fantastic and she has told me alot of what's in the book.

Right now, our loved ones are praying for us. I do believe they see us and plead to the Father for us. I also believe they hurt for us too. It's not until after the judgement seat of Christ that every tear shall be wiped away.

Anyway, check out the book if you get time. There's also a workbook that goes along with it.

NspiredByFaith said...

I love hearing what kids have to say about heaaven. There is so much that adults can only speculate but kids are so matter of fact about it. My nephews dad ran over his dog and they told him Ringo(the dog) went to heaven. Then several months later my husbands grandfather (nephews great grandfather) died, & they told him grandpa went to heaven. and when they pulled up to the funeral home dad told him we were going to see grandpa. Nephew said, "is Ringo here too?" Yeah, splain that one dad!